Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Esquire's 75 Books Every Man Should Read



A friend sent me a link to Esquire's 75 Books Every Man Should Read

I went over the books and realized one of the things I aspire to come across a list like this and have read a majority of the books.

I think that reading, the reflective life, is essential to making us become more perfect people. It is one of the important ways that we learn about things that aren't readily comprehensible.

The books that I have read from the list thus far are:

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky

A Good Man Is Hard To Find and Other Stories by Flannery O'Connor

The Call Of The Wild by Jack London

For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway

The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara

All The King's Men by Robert Penn Warren

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges

The Autobiography of Malcom X by Alex Haley

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

Some of these books have helped shape my life - most notably The Autobiography of Malcom X, War and Peace, All The King's Men, and The Brother's Karamazov.

"I see the sun, and if I don't see the sun, I know it's there. And there's a whole life in that, in knowing that the sun is there." - The Brother's Karamazov


Continue to strive upward.

No comments: